RE: [amibroker] Random Data Generator

Hi John and Al –

I made one response about the AmiBroker
random number generator earlier.  But this message cries out for
another.

In my opinion, it is a valuable technique
to add a small random perturbation to historical O, H, L, C data.  This
will test the sensitivity of a system to small changes in data.  If you
use this technique, plan to make a lot of runs and do a lot of statistical
analysis.

In my opinion, use of completely artificial
or random data is Not a valuable technique.  In order to generate a
meaningful series of data (in terms of training a system to be profitable in
the future), we would have to completely understand the complexities of
it.  If we understood that, we could just write a trading system that took
advantage of that knowledge.  If you use artificial or random data to
develop your system, be very careful to test on truly out of sample Real
historical data.

Howard