RE: [amibroker] Re: more positionsize results I don't understand

<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>hi fred,
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>I understand that without impossible margin borrowing,
you can't trade each of 10 stocks at the full value of the account,
and that the total account returns of that would be unrealisically high.
positionsize = -10 is the unmargined reality.
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>but what I don't understand is the change in the
individual stock returns in the positionsize = -10 case. why aren't they pretty
close to 1/10th of the margined case?
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>
<SPAN
class=497344210-17092003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>Trading
  EACH of 10 securities at 100% of account value is equivalent to trading on
  10% margin.If each security for example had a 100% gain then the
  mythical account has a 1000% gain as opposed to the 100% gain you would
  have had trading on a cash basis.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx> wrote:> I'm working on a
  system that trades 10 specifically selected stocks, testing> it one
  year at a time.> > with positionsize = -100, meaning each stock
  gets the full account value> (not really possible), I get the
  following results for 1996:> >
  ------------------------------> Sym      Net
  profit      Net profit %>
  ------------------------------> AAPL
  15,321.83      153.22%>
  ADBE      23,346.08
  233.46%> ADPT
  51,464.47      514.64%>
  ATML      29,491.28
  294.91%> BGEN
  22,812.43      228.12%>
  CHIR      25,088.06
  250.88%> ERTS
  75,242.38      752.42%>
  FHCC      15,389.41
  153.89%> GENZ
  27,149.30      271.49%>
  PMTC      93,473.38
  934.73%> ------------------------------> Total net
  profit:
  378,778.62> Total commissions paid:
  0.00> Return on account:      378.78 %>
  ------------------------------> > with everything the same
  except positionsize = -10, meaning each stock gets> 1/10 of the
  account value, I get the following:> >
  ------------------------------> Sym      Net
  profit      Net profit %>
  ------------------------------> AAPL
  1,096.32      10.96%>
  ADBE      1,472.92
  14.73%> ADPT
  2,174.68      21.75%>
  ATML      1,692.43
  16.92%> BGEN
  1,354.57      13.55%>
  CHIR      1,423.11
  14.23%> ERTS
  2,580.50      25.81%>
  FHCC      1,029.65
  10.30%> GENZ
  1,518.68      15.19%>
  PMTC      2,777.24
  27.77%> ------------------------------> Total net
  profit:
  17,120.11> Total commissions paid:
  0.00> Return on account:      17.12 %>
  ------------------------------> > I don't understand this. why
  aren't the results with 1/10th the positionsize> pretty much
  exactly 1/10th of the full positionsize results? commission is> set
  to $0 in settings, so that shouldn't be it.> > with full
  positionsize, each stock makes at least a reasonable one year>
  return, and the average of those (total return on account) is also
  pretty> decent. however, neither the dollar or percentage returns
  on the smaller> positions are even close to 1/10th what they are
  for the full positions.> > obviously, I don't understand
  something important, either about AB's> reporting, or some real-world
  account scaling issue. it matters a lot in> this case. I wouldn't
  mind the returns from the first set, but the second> set, the one
  that's like reality, isn't worth the execution effort.> > Dave
  MerrillSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.