[amibroker] Re: more positionsize results I don't understand

Dave,

Trading EACH of 10 securities at 100% of account value is equivalent
to trading on 10% margin.

If each security for example had a 100% gain then the mythical
account has a 1000% gain as opposed to the 100% gain you would have
had trading on a cash basis.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> I'm working on a system that trades 10 specifically selected
stocks, testing
> it one year at a time.
>
> with positionsize = -100, meaning each stock gets the full account
value
> (not really possible), I get the following results for 1996:
>
> ------------------------------
> Sym	Net profit	Net profit %
> ------------------------------
> AAPL	15,321.83	153.22%
> ADBE	23,346.08	233.46%
> ADPT	51,464.47	514.64%
> ATML	29,491.28	294.91%
> BGEN	22,812.43	228.12%
> CHIR	25,088.06	250.88%
> ERTS	75,242.38	752.42%
> FHCC	15,389.41	153.89%
> GENZ	27,149.30	271.49%
> PMTC	93,473.38	934.73%
> ------------------------------
> Total net profit:		378,778.62
> Total commissions paid:	0.00
> Return on account:	378.78 %
> ------------------------------
>
> with everything the same except positionsize = -10, meaning each
stock gets
> 1/10 of the account value, I get the following:
>
> ------------------------------
> Sym	Net profit	Net profit %
> ------------------------------
> AAPL	1,096.32	10.96%
> ADBE	1,472.92	14.73%
> ADPT	2,174.68	21.75%
> ATML	1,692.43	16.92%
> BGEN	1,354.57	13.55%
> CHIR	1,423.11	14.23%
> ERTS	2,580.50	25.81%
> FHCC	1,029.65	10.30%
> GENZ	1,518.68	15.19%
> PMTC	2,777.24	27.77%
> Total net profit:		17,120.11
> Total commissions paid:	0.00
> Return on account:	17.12 %
>
> I don't understand this. why aren't the results with 1/10th the
positionsize
> pretty much exactly 1/10th of the full positionsize results?
commission is