Re: [amibroker] Re: Beating The Tend - Walid

Mroman,

Yes, I've read the book. And yes, it did teach me
something about trading systems that most of the
experienced system developers on this board
already know--a trading system should not aim for
high accuracy trades, but rather be based on the
old cliche "cut your losses short but let your
profits run". Beatingthetrend, as it's written,
cuts losses to 10% and limits wins to 12%. Because
it's a trend reversal system, it is very dangerous
to try to let your profits run, so a better system
in terms of expectancy (refer to Tharp's book for
definition/explanation) is to go with the trend and
just let it run--do the exact opposite of
beatingthetrend, with a trailing stop, and you will
probably have a higher expectancy system.

I would be happy to post the system except for
possibly copyright violations--however, the basic
signal is very well known by any technical analyst
as:

Lrb=High<Ref(High,-1) AND Low<Ref(Low,-1) AND
Close>(Low+High)/2;
Filter=Lrb;
Buy=Filter;

when the high is less than yesterday's high, the
low is less than yesterday's low, but the close is
greater than halfway of the range. I'm leaving out
the volume indicators and other specifics to the
system that you could probably figure out on your
own. Also, the reverse for shorting is a very
poor signal, with negative expectancy. Thanks for
the info on the yahoo discussion group related to
the system--I'll check it out. It does make for
an interesting "tweakable" system to one that
may be profitable.

Walid