Re: [amibroker] To all AmiBroker users - Questions

See my comments below:  I only hope that I have understood your questions and have addressed some answers. Steve Wiser At 10:51 PM 4/22/2002 +0000, you wrote: I have just found advertisement for AmiBroker and I am trying to figure out if the program will meet my needs. I must say for the price it appears impressive, but I would like some imput from users. It appears that it is free download for trial period, so I will do this and try to get a feel for what the program can do. Please note the most impressive part of Ami is its creator and author.  His ability to respond to us as users is better than any other in my experience. 1. Has anyone used MetaStock and if so can you give me your opinion on the similarities, pros and cons, capabilities etc. of the two programs? I am looking into purchasing MetaStock but it is a bit pricy and data download by 2nd party is costly. Yes, I have MS version 7.0 and 7.2 EOD.  Programming language is very similar.  Graphics or charting is at present better with MS than with Ami.  Tomasz has projected that he will make a new charting engine for version 4.1 or 4.2 which means within the next 6 months, probably within the next three months. This is also a great place to share ideals.  Great people populate this message board, myself excluded, since I rarely post anymore.  I am usually to busy with other things. 2. My main interest is to be able to screen stocks based on my onw price and volume criteria. For example, stocks with 3 consecutive increases in combination with double its  3 month avg volume for any given period of time or 13 dma > 30 dma etc. No fundamental data will be required but is a plus. Can it do this? Yes you can screen and build you own watch lists.  That is, multiple watch lists.  Each night you can create a new list and later compare this list with previous lists.  The programming for what you ask is almost trivial. Fundamental data will be addressed later. 3. After stocks are screened according to my criteria, then have the ability to back test all screened stocks and rank them by greatest return. Can it do this. Once you screen your stocks, as I said you can place them into a watch list.  Once in that watch list you can then apply much more rigorous methods to these securities.  You can create your own indices or use the more standard ones, NDX etc.  You may do almost what ever you can think of with the flexibility built-in or only use the level you feel comfortable. 4. Can one trade through the program, granted that the brokerage firm allows for such a link between the program and their server? You can set up links inside the program to go to certain sites as needed.  I have not checked lately if this is still there.  I xxx 5. Is the download of data from Yahoo seamless and free from Yahoo? Yahoo is free and seamless, but not without its problems.  Free means high error rate.  You have to watch this carefully.  I use QP2 because of the fundamental data that is available a accessible from within Ami to use as my own unique indicators.  You want EPS, if you have QP2 or someother piece of information such as float, just call it directly from within Ami.  Once Tomasz allowed my to use QP2 directly, I rarely use Yahoo anymore.  6. Can one download historical data from yahoo for stocks so that backtesting can be performed? Yes, historical data from Yahoo is available.  I think I have taken about 10 years off the site.  Remember this is the simple data, H,L,C,O,V type stuff. 7. Does Amibroker generate automatic buy and sell signals with built in technical analysis indicators, like other programs do such as omnitrader? Just check out some of the charts posted in this message board and you will see that this is available. You have control over buy, sell, cover, short, buyprice, sellprice inside your backtesting.  You can set stops as well using applystop command. 8. has anyone tried to program Amibroker to use the formulas provided by the book called Beating the Trend? You can find it by performing a website search.  If so, how easy was it to program according to this formula. No I have not done this but I have approximated Bill Williams' Alligator system as noted in the Willams book New Dimensions in trading.  Check out the AMI library for this code.  Also check out Williams profitunity web site.   MS has several his partial systems built-in and coded that comes with MS. 9. What does Amibroker have in to do with the following advertisement: -rewritten database handling: abstract data access layer allowing direct access to QP2/TC2000/Metastock databases without the need to import (3.84+) -pre-written direct data feed DLLs from Quotes Plus (3.84+), TC2000, Metastock databases (3.87+) - a "summary-only" mode in the backtester providing 2-3 times faster backtesting of large databases (3.87+). - support for money management (position sizing) in backtester/optimizer (3.90)     QP2/TC2000 access were fairly resent additions to Ami to allow users to access detailed data such as float so that we can do float analysis.      Dlls were made available to allow other users to used their talents in programming to better modify Ami to fit their own requirements.     Summary only mode was again a request of users as well as money management (position sizing) all allowing greater flexibility in the programs use.  As I understand it more flexibility is coming in this area.     Bottom line is user flexibility no matter what level user you are.... My question again, I thought that data feed was free from Yahoo? Yes it is but with simple data and it demands error tolerance on the users part. 10. Is it true that the cost is only $79, after trial date is up? There appears to be upgrades in the works i.e. AmiBroker 4.0 versions. How much does it cost for upgrade versions? EOD and RT versions are very near.  Within a couple of weeks as I understand the time frame for RT. I will let Tomasz speak to the upgrade pricing. Thank You for and information you can provide. I greatly appreciate your imput and mention about other applications that you have used.