Re: [amibroker] Re: The Holy Grail of Market Timers

Dear Dimitris,

Let me first thank you, Bill, Anthony and Karl for responding to the
request for a consensus regarding market timers.

I went through the postings at our own AFL Library this morning, and was
nearly overwhelmed by the sheer number of listings for indicators, be they
trend-followers, oscillatios, or miscellaneous indicators which are leading
or coincident. Many of the listings are yours, and the good-will feelings
you enjoy from the group have been well earned by the quality of the work
you have so generously posted so others may enjoy and benefit.

Surely we all agree there is no one single indicator, a "Holy Grail", but
there must be one or two- widely used, and especially productive, which
traders amongst us use, and which would be of great assistance to those of
us less experienced at trading.

Apart from my own 'ulterior motives', I am also sensitive to the needs of
'newbies', who, fortunately for Tomasz, seem to be joining our group in
increasing numbers, and especially sensitive to the needs of those of us
(PARTICULARLY NATE!) who do not know how to program codes for ourselves.

So, yes, let us see if we can do as you suggest, using the early April low
as a common point of reference, and determine a market timer that
accurately reflects market activity during this 'test' period of time.

And perhaps we could continue this as an ongoing project. We all know
market conditions change and formulae that worked last month or last week
are no longer productive.

In difficult markets, such as I feel we have at present, I would welcome a
posting from a group member who is using timing tools that seem to be
especially 'spot on'.

There is one other comment in your letter that should be emphasized:

>If we give clear examples with full documentation, readers
>could compare and judge every system.

I cannot agree more strongly! In attempting to run many of the postings to
the group, I fail- not because I am dumb, but because I do not understand
the nuances involved. Of course I know how to cut and paste, but then if
the codes don't come up as indicators or commentaries or analyses, I just
delete them and move on, thereby missing the possibility of being exposed
to a really great idea.

I hope your suggestion in response to my inquiry, will serve as a Clarion
call for the great pool of talent Amibroker Group represents.

Best regards,

Nate

At 01:32 PM 7/29/01 -0000, you wrote:

>Your interesting mail gave me an idea:
>As we know, the 4,5 and 6 April 2001 we have had a new
>low in ^NDX. (a whishful thought to be the lowest...).
>If we agree, let us give a specific example for that low.
>Some theories predict, some other detect, some other confirm.
>If we give clear examples with full documentation, readers
>could compare and judge every system.
>This is my proposition, I have prepared my homework and if
>the group agree, let us step in.
>Dimitris Tsokakis

Earlier, I had written:
<SNIP>