Re: The Holy Grail of Market Timers

Dear Bill,
I would be more than happy if you could prepare something on this.
Best Regards
Dimitris Tsokakis
--- In amibroker@xxxx, "wavemechanic" <wd78@xxxx> wrote:
> Nate:
>
> Welcome to the "older and dumber" club. We always need young blood.
>
> By market timers are you asking about market timing services or
market timing techniques? In either case, I do not use any services,
reflecting a distorted, independent personality that does not adjust
easily to "follow the leader." I do, however, rely heavily on
graphic studies with confirmation from trend-following and momentum
indicators. Except for parameter adjustment, these studies do not
change as a function of time frame. I use my Ouija board to fill in
the gaps that are always present with any approach. No systems at
all. In that regard, I have been brainwashed, or at least nearly so,
by Bob Miner of Dynamic Trader book fame, and eschew systems. Miner
recently published the attached article about system trading,
presented in his usual no nonsense style that I find very refreshing.

> Like you I have been around many corners in my trading "career"
until landing on my present approach. There is no single way to skin
this cat - no right or wrong way. Each has to find the way that is
comfortable. But whatever route one chooses, an essential part of
the discipline is money management. Without that you are lost,
irrespective of the methodology used. However, with it plus a
reasonable approach to entry and exit decisions one can do OK.

> We are also similar in terms of our trading vehicles. Like you I
use a number of no-load funds, including highly leveraged ones. To
do so, I primarily analyze indices. I also trade indices or related
issues (e.g., QQQ), usually in a derivative form (options and
futures). I find that this works for me, permitting my time to be
spent analyzing a limited number of issues in depth by my
methodology, which produces a level of confidence that I think one
should have for trading purposes.

> Or so it seems to this ole curmudgeon.
>
> Bill

Service.