<A title=traders10@xxxx
href="">traders10@xxxx
To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2001 12:11
AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Dear
Trader
--- In amibroker@xxxx..., <A
href="">box25@xxxx... wrote:> Dear Trader,>
> I am not entirely comfortable in commenting to another user of a
> public forum, but I am compelled to state my concerns.  While
you > have contributed some very positive items here, I am increasingly
> taken aback by what I sense as an impatient and condescending tone,
> specifically to Tomasz, but also occasionally to other users.
I did explain once before what I am doing with AB...perhaps you
missed it.I have no complaints about AB in general, its valuevs
cost, or the excellent support provided by Tomasz.  However, I have
not switched from TS, MS, SC, TAS, AIQ or Investigator to AB.AB
has one feature, the ability to back test a portfolio of securities, which
I am trying to use to evaluate trading system ideas.  It is far
better IMO to evaluate over a portfolio than over a single security.
Now AIQ and Investigator do have that same capability, but due to other
reasons not worth going into here, they are not suited for this
evaluation.What programming I do is application oriented primarily in
MS or TS easy language.  What is familiar and comfortable there is
rather different in many ways from TJ's vision of what he would like AB to
be.  Those differences make it difficult for me to move ahead with my
project from time to time.From time to time I have mentioned
enhancements that would be nice to have.  Any comparisons I maketo
MS or TS are to provide a context for the suggestions.Also from
time to time I find some of the ideas that TJ has implemented are useful
to the programmers in the group, but there may be lacking some of the
simple functions and capabilities for the application users among
us.I am an engineer by training and have managed SW projects for
several years.  I am sure TJ is accepting my comments and criticisms
in a way that any person familiar with working in a development team would
view them.  Sometimes very capable designers need a critic like
myself to provide them with a user's perspective of the product.So
far most of the feedback I have seen here has been from two groups.
The people new to the product who are primarily concerned with getting
data into AB so they can start their projects, and programmers that want
to extend and modify capabilities at a higher level using tools like VB
and JS.Application users like me don't really want to learn new
programming languages and have figured out how to get the data we need
into the program.  What we need is decent documentation of the
existing features (and examples of how to use them) and a set of functions
that allow us to chart, write, do explorations, write trading systems
without having to continually ask TJ how to perform our fairly simple
tasks.  Some higher level canned functions are always on our wish
list because we do not have the skills to program them ourselves.
And, yes, we probably long for our familiar IF statements and a few
comfortable Windows things like creating new files and a print or
write statement to get debug info out of the program.  These type of
capabilities are probably trivial for power users but not for us
"calibrated dummies" who function at lower levels.However, If youwant
to discuss USING AB to make money then I think I can contribute.If
all this makes other readers uncomfortable, I am somewhat sorry about
that, but I think what I am doing is helping to make AB a better
product.  Perhaps not any one individual's vision of AB, but a more
rounded, easier to use, terrific little program.If my posts offend
you, the next button is always available.  But, you might learn
something by reading them.  However, if TJ is offended by my posts,
then that is a different matter and he should contact me and tell me to
shut up.CheersTraderYour
href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.