Re: Dear Trader

--- In amibroker@xxxx, box25@xxxx wrote:
> Dear Trader,
>
> I am not entirely comfortable in commenting to another user of a
> public forum, but I am compelled to state my concerns. While you
> have contributed some very positive items here, I am increasingly
> taken aback by what I sense as an impatient and condescending tone,
> specifically to Tomasz, but also occasionally to other users.

I did explain once before what I am doing with AB...perhaps you
missed it.

I have no complaints about AB in general, its value vs cost, or the
excellent support provided by Tomasz. However, I have not switched
from TS, MS, SC, TAS, AIQ or Investigator to AB.

AB has one feature, the ability to back test a portfolio of
securities, which I am trying to use to evaluate trading system
ideas. It is far better IMO to evaluate over a portfolio than over a
single security. Now AIQ and Investigator do have that same
capability, but due to other reasons not worth going into here, they
are not suited for this evaluation.

What programming I do is application oriented primarily in MS or TS
easy language. What is familiar and comfortable there is rather
different in many ways from TJ's vision of what he would like AB to
be. Those differences make it difficult for me to move ahead with my
project from time to time.

>From time to time I have mentioned enhancements that would be nice to
have. Any comparisons I make to MS or TS are to provide a context
for the suggestions.

Also from time to time I find some of the ideas that TJ has
implemented are useful to the programmers in the group, but there may
be lacking some of the simple functions and capabilities for the
application users among us.

I am an engineer by training and have managed SW projects for several
years. I am sure TJ is accepting my comments and criticisms in a way
that any person familiar with working in a development team would
view them. Sometimes very capable designers need a critic like
myself to provide them with a user's perspective of the product.

So far most of the feedback I have seen here has been from two
groups. The people new to the product who are primarily concerned
with getting data into AB so they can start their projects, and
programmers that want to extend and modify capabilities at a higher
level using tools like VB and JS.

Application users like me don't really want to learn new programming
languages and have figured out how to get the data we need into the
program. What we need is decent documentation of the existing
features (and examples of how to use them) and a set of functions
that allow us to chart, write, do explorations, write trading systems
without having to continually ask TJ how to perform our fairly simple
tasks. Some higher level canned functions are always on our wish
list because we do not have the skills to program them ourselves.
And, yes, we probably long for our familiar IF statements and a few
comfortable Windows things like creating new files and a print or
write statement to get debug info out of the program. These type of
capabilities are probably trivial for power users but not for
us "calibrated dummies" who function at lower levels.

However, If you want to discuss USING AB to make money then I think I
can contribute.

If all this makes other readers uncomfortable, I am somewhat sorry
about that, but I think what I am doing is helping to make AB a
better product. Perhaps not any one individual's vision of AB, but a
more rounded, easier to use, terrific little program.

If my posts offend you, the next button is always available. But,
you might learn something by reading them. However, if TJ is
offended by my posts, then that is a different matter and he should
contact me and tell me to shut up.

Cheers
Trader