Re: Author of Trading System?

Dear Thierry,

Excuse me for replying to the general mailing, rather than directly to you-
but your question needs the wider audience.

>You Wrote:
>Hello Nathan Berger,

>Are you the author of some trading system?
>You have coded 1 or more systems in AFL?

No, I have not written a trading system, but have passed on to the group a
system developed by a very respected author and trader, Dr. Alexander
Elder. It is a system I personally have traded with successfully for quite
some time. It is a fairly simple system, not a lot of flash or drama, that
views a galaxy of stocks first in WEEKLY mode, searching for those stocks
which are clearly on an upward momentum. Once indentified, then you switch
to view charts of these stocks in a DAILY mode, using short term
oscillators (such as Stochastics) to select those you wish to trade.

In addition, I also posted some suggestions and a program to help people
understand and determine how to decide how much of your capital to invest
in any one given stock.

>I'am a new user ; I would like to use AmiBroker with the best
>trading systems.

The reason for posting the things I have is that from reading some of the
letters posted to this group, such as yours, and through personal contact
with many of the members, I discovered many of AmiBroker users are
extremely sophisticated in writing codes, but are relatively new to
investing in the markets.

Some of the programs you will see discussed in the e-mailings are very
subtle and quite complicated, and if you are trading real money- as opposed
to paper trading, you can lose a lot of your initial capital before you
realize trading stocks, futures and commodities is not like walking through
a forrest of money trees where all you have to do is reach up and pick the
money from the trees.

I would apologize for doing so, but I'm sure I speak for Goeff, David,
Steve, Thomasz and others who have posted systems to this usergroup when I
say that all of us do so with the thought that readers will be able to
incorporate these programs into AmiBroker, then BACKTEST them against the
other systems to select the best system FOR TRADING EACH SPECIFIC STOCK,
FUTURE, ETC.

There is no perfect system. And a system that gives especially good results
when applied to buying contracts of corn or lumber will not necessarily
give good results when applied to ABC Company stock. Nor, necessarily, will
the system that produces 120% return on ABC give anywhere near that kind of
return on XYZ company. You need several different systems, THEN MUST
BACKTEST EACH, ONE AT A TIME, AGAINST EACH POSITION YOU WISH TO TAKE IN THE
MARKETS.

>I'am also a OmegaResarch TradeStation 2000i user.
>I already use some very good systems for day trading the Futures
>markets.

Hopefully, my remarks will move you and other members to share with our
group the systems YOU have found to be productive. By doing so, you provide
the rest of us the added strength of your knowledge and experience so all
of us will benefit.

There are many members who come to AmiBroker after also using MetaStock,
TradeStation, and other sophisticated systems. Tell us about formulae you
have found useful in those formats. Even if you do not have your system
formulae written in AFL language- which I thoroughly do not understand,
there are some truly gifted members of this group who will be able to code
it into a form usable by AmiBroker.

>Best Regards,

>Thierry Jourdain

>>On Tuesday, May 01, 2001, you wrote :

>>DSNB> My friends call me Nate. What can I do for you?

Sorry for the long reply, but your questions are quite important. Hope you
find something of value in my response.

Best regards, Nate Berger