"Workspace" what does it do for us?

I note that the File menu selection has several items concerning
workspace.

What significance is the workspace? Is this a way to save an overall
chart type or someelse else? I know there is a default chart and I
like to roll my own chart so it this the place where I can toggle
back and forth between the default charts and my own?

Thanks for making such a great piece of software. Your software
shows great patience, design and intelligence.

Steve