Re[2]: [RT] Download Free Elliott Wave Theorist (normally priced at $29)

You're correct that there were no mutual funds in the 1920s, but there
were "investment trusts" that functioned and were marketed in a
similar way.  Many used leverage.  The investment trusts were
absolutely decimated by the early 1930s and individual investors
shunned fund-like investments until, I believe, the 1960s.

Certainly the level of globalization wasn't there in the 1910s and
1920s.  However, I think globalization can bite investors in the butt,
because the markets are so interconnected that disruptions move
throughout markets as we saw in January.  Inter-market diversification
is not as effective as it used to be.  Before the Panic of 1819,
economic crises and depressions were largely regional (such as Ohio
bank failures or depressions in New England).  I think 1819-1821 was
the first depression with a nationwide scope.  The Great Depression
crossed international borders in a big way for the first time and
affected not only the U.S., but its trade partners like Canada and
Britain.  Today, the intertwining of markets means the impact from a
serious disruption (and I'm not suggesting there will be one) would be
very pervasive.