Subj: Re: government efficiency or lack thereof [RT] sp500/nasdaq top
Date: 3/8/2004 10:28:58 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: rascal2@xxxxxxxxx
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's right.  Almost all government agencies are covered by "civil service" provisions.  Why? To prevent government managers from hiring their friends, relatives, etc., who are unqualified for the job.  Also, almost all have standards of "progressive discipline" to ensure that disciplinary actions, including firings, are for legitimate purposes and are taken after due process. Unless a crime has been committed, it is almost impossible to fire someone for a "first offense".  Much harder than in the private sector.

Again, that is a law designed to protect the public dollar.  Adds to inefficiency and to poor performance by employees in the public sector, but that is because we want the system that way.

In short, a lot of what people complain about in government is designed into the system on purpose.  Don't like it?  Then direct your elected representatives to change it.  Meanwhile, government managers are bound to obey the law.  BTW, most of them hate it as much as you do.  And be sure you would prefer the alternative.