Re: [RT] Calendar Spreads

Ray:

Our basic philosophy for the use of options is
different.  As shown by your graph the greatest spread does occur at
the strike.  You also look at your position basis expiration.  I
consider options a trading vehicle.  I use them as a hedge, as a profit
source and not as an interest bearing instrument.  In order to avoid a loss
you will be forced to do something with the short options if price moves up or
down through your zero profit areas.

Options are a directional tool and that is the way
I use them.  There are three things that can happen to a stock or
future.  They can go up in price, they can go down in
price or price can stay the same.  In this instance 2 of these
are bad for any long option position and perfect for your position which is
dependant upon time decay and price stagnation.   I would rather have
2 in my favor.  I like it when I can make money if the underlying goes up
or if the underlying goes down.  I do undergo a problem if price stays the
same.  Two out of three isn't bad though.

May your spread well for you,  Ira.

<BLOCKQUOTE