RE: [RT] Calendar Spreads

Hi
Ira,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT
color=#000000>I agree with everything you said, however I believe that using
options with different strikes produces better results.  In chart F1
buying 10 F
JAN 2006 15 Calls (WFOAC) and selling 10 F SEP 2004 15 Call (FIC<FONT
color=#000000>). produces a near vertical chart.  In other words, as you
pointed out, the profitability range is very narrow.  The same is true
using the 12.50 strikes shown in F3.  But buying 10 F JAN 2006 12.5
Calls (WFOAV) and selling 10 F SEP 2004 15 Calls (FIC) the
profile produces  a profile with a "wider" profitability range.  The
trade off is that the total risk is double (there is always a trade off with
options) but losses can usually be
managed.

As the man said you
pays your money and you take your chances.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
Good luck and good
trading,
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
Ray
Raffurty
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mr.ira@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:11
AMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [RT]
Calendar Spreads
I didn't tell the poster that he should do a
reverse spread.  I stated that a time spread is greatest when it is at the
strike price.  If that is true and he puts on a 30 time spread when the
stock is at 30 then if the stock moves up or down the spread will collapse and
he will lose money.  That was my point.

The other point I made was that it appeared to me
that he was using the leap as a surrogate for the stock and in effect putting on
a covered write by buying the leap and selling the at the money call.  I
believe that both statements are correct.

It is probably his intention to keep writing calls
against the leap and eventually own the leap for nothing.  That only works
if the stock stays at 30.  If the stock drops then the short calls at 30
are worthless and he has to write the 25s or the 20s with ever increasing
risk.  If the stock rallies then the spread collapses also and he has to
constantly roll up the short calls.  If he doesn't then both calls go to
parity and he loses again.

IN order to make his plan work he has to have a
plan for the stocks move both up and down.  Those were the points that I
was trying to make.  As for the $2.75, I don't know whether that is fair
value or not.  I just used the number because he did.  My point here
is that you put on a spread as a spread for a specific amount.  Undervalued
or at value.  You try to avoid volatility risk.  I hope that this
clears things up a little.  Ira.
<BLOCKQUOTE