Re: [RT] Re: 12/19 and bonds

I heard the interview, and I took his comment to mean that the idea for
this, or at least the philosophical approach, went back to Rubin's
tenure as Treasury Sec. As you have pointed out, the plans go well back
into the Clinton administration. So it appears the bozo was right...

Regards
DanG

bruce.larson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Some bozo on CNBC a few minutes ago is saying Rubin is behind this.
> Get real.  The treasury sent a questionairre out to all the major
> bond houses back in Sep 99 and asked for their feedback on a possible
> buyback.  In Oct 99 the Treasury said the feedback was favorable.  In
> Jan 00, the Treasury announced official buyback plans.  What's
> happening here after billions of old bonds have already been
> reclaimed is the Treasury being forced to pay up above market value
> for these bonds hidden deep in some portfolios.  Doesn't take a brain
> surgeon to figure the cost effective thing to do is to just eliminate
> 30 year auctions.
> Look out for pressure on the 10s and a possible 10s-30s inversion.
>
> --- In realtraders@xxxx, "Dorothy K. Carter" <dorothy.carter@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > I saw Under Secy Tsy for domestic finance on TV...  Peter
> R.Fisher... he was
> > asked why now his answer was as I quoted below...........  I
> repeated what
> > he said on TV    and yes it was announced along with the qtrly
> refunding
> > anouncement... now  vs last month    or prior to today......
> according to

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE guide: "Securing Your Website for business" Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/M.WTOC/m1FDAA/cosFAA/zMEolB/TM