[RT] Re: God Bless America

from "Islam" by Caesar E. Farah
"
Jihad -- The idea of jihad in a military context with its emphasis on
the notion of continuous struggle against non-believers in God as the
sole deity tended to keep alive the spirit of solidarity in the
community over and against outsiders.  While the Quran does not make
of jihad in the "holy war" context an article of faith, it is the
Hadith which renders it into a formula for "active struggle" that
invariably tended toward militant expression. What makes jihad a
binding institution in Islam is the fact that it is a communal not an
individual obligation.  The incentive for jihad lies in its two-fold
benefits: booty for this life and martyrdom with its immediate
promise for a blissful eternal hereafter for those killed in the
battle..."

The book is well worth reading for those interested in the subject.

Chris

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "Chuck" <upatick@xxxx> wrote:
> Diplomacy certainly won't fix this problem and I'm not sure
military action will do much more than help people feel better.
Below is an email I sent to 'About Today' internet news distributor.
It contains no solutions but it might generate some ideas.

-----------------------

> Dear C. Huda Dodge:
>
> I subscribe to 'About Today' and read your article "Suicide
Bombers - Why do they kill themselves and others, and what does Islam
say about their actions?"

> I feel that this type of reporting is dangerous and plays a major
role in allowing terrorism to continue in the US and other free
countries.  Your 'out of context' reporting creates confusion by
leading people to believe that
> Islam is a peaceful religion, which it isn't.
>
> The portions of the Quran 'in context' with Islamic terrorism
clearly direct followers of Islam to 'struggle' (Jihad) to spread the
word of God throughout the world.  This 'struggle' is meant to be
peaceful unless met with resistance.  Resistance develops when free,
democratic nations are given the choice to either: accept the law of
the Quran; or pay a poll-tax (Jazyah) to the governing Islamic group;
or get beheaded.  These choices cause people to oppose Islamic rule
which automatically makes them 'friends of Satan' and not worthy to
live.

> Getting followers of Islam to risk their lives to spread the word
of God was bound to be difficult, so the Quran offers plenty of
incentive.  Those who die or martyr themselves in the 'struggle'
automatically go to Paradise, are dressed in radiant robes, live in
palaces and get numerous houri (virgins for the purpose of sex).
Additionally, the 'martyr' is permitted to recommend 70 men for entry
into Paradise.  It's no wonder there is a waiting list of suicide
bombers.  Lies, deception, treachery and murder are all considered
acceptable in the 'struggle' against the 'friends of Satan'.

> While there are many Muslims who choose to follow the peaceful
writings of the Quran, there are also many other Muslims who choose
to follow the extreme writings of the Quran.  I'm sure you're a very
peaceful person, but I feel that you and others are providing a
disservice to all free people on the planet by providing 'out of
context' information.  The threat to life and liberty is from those
radicals who choose to follow the extreme writing of the Quran.  I
believe that you could provide a greater service by using your
knowledge of Islam to help people and nations defend themselves from
the thousands, if not millions, of extremists intent on forcing their
beliefs on the rest of the world.

realtraders@xxxx ; omega-list@xxxx ; metastock@xxxx ; qcharts@xxxx
>   Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 10:48 AM
>   Subject: [RT] Re: God Bless America
>

>   Perhaps I'm missing something, and it sure wouldn't be the first
time, but
>   please explain how "diplomatic" efforts can combat these kind of
people.
>   I've listened to this sort of rhetoric for the last decade and
quite frankly
>   am sick of it.
>
>   There comes a time when we have to end this form of thinking that
puts
>   symbolism over substance, words over actions, the acceptance of
unacceptable
>   behavior, the solving of problems by hoping they go away and the
practice of
>   rationalizing and making excuses for everything.
>
>   Bob

Diplomacy has its
>   > : place.  So does force.  Force may be the
>   > : one thing that will cause the terrorists to consider that
maybe there is
>   > : better way to resolve conflict than
>   > : through their terror.  We cannot be afraid to face them.  The
current
>   > : tragedy is the result of total dependence
>   > : on diplomacy and our failure to realize that when we are
compelled to
>   use
>   > : force it must be for total and complete victory.
>   > : The US does not use force recklessly, but there is a time and
place for
>   > it.
>   > : This is one of those times.  The place is wherever terrorism
resides.
>   > :
>   > : Bill Daniel
>   > :
>   > :
>   > :
>   > :
Brunk. Although
>   > this
>   > : is just a very small part of my lineage it is a tie that
binds. This is
>   > : sad time for us and reflects that we can't intercede in world
affairs
>   > : without paying a price. Those who wish to strike back with
vengeance
>   don't
>   > : seem to realize that the death of a thousand terrorists can
not make up
>   > for
>   > : the loss of one of our lives. I have been glued to my TV,
watching the
>   > news
>   > : reports, our brave firemen and policemen, we can't forget
them.
>   > : If we view the answer to this crisis is revenge than we have
become one
>   of
>   > : them and we have become part of the problem. It is only
through wise
>   > : diplomacy that we can solve this problem. I'm afraid that
what I have
>   seen
>   > : for the last 30 years has been anything but that.
>   > : We have created fertile ground for the hatred of America by
picking
>   allies
>   > : and over injecting ourselves in other parts of the world. For
that we
>   pay.
>   > : We will survive, though.
>   > :
>   > : Just a little over a year ago I was in N.Y. City in June 2000
attending
>   > the
>   > : OmegaWorld convention there. Dancing, being a hobby of mine
got me out
>   > each
>   > : night. One of my fondest memories was attending a swing night
at Window
>   of
>   > : the World Restaurant and Bar at the top of the World Trade
Center
>   > building.
>   > : It was incredible. Now it is just a memory, a very fond one.
At one
>   point
>   > I
>   > : walked over to the window with a gal I had befriended. The
distance down
>   > is
>   > : so incredible she couldn't even walk over. She crawled as we
got close
>   and
>   > : peeked down. LOL. There is a spirit and a life to many parts
of our
>   > country
>   > : and I was happy to make NYC a part of my life for that week.
Our country
>   > : will survive, we will need to make changes, however.
>   > :
>   > : Thanks to all the O'Listers around the world for your
thoughts and
>   prayers
>   > : during this time.
>   > :
>   > : Jim Bronke
>   > : Phoenix, AZ
>   > :
>   > :
>   > :
American
>   > : : consulates in other cities. During working hours, you could
see many
>   > : school
>   > : : children who came individually or with their teacher,
trying to place
>   > : their
>   > : : flowers as close to the embassy gates as possible; during
lunch break
>   > and
>   > : : after the offices close, the other age groups come. Many
are sobbing,
>   or
>   > : : have tears in their eyes. Now, at night, you see numerous
windows that
>   > : have
>   > : : candles placed in them. Memorial services are being held
all over the
>   > : : country for the victims. This morning a memorial service
was held in a
>   > : large
>   > : : cathedral in Berlin, with the Chancellor and other
dignitaries
>   present.
>   > : The
>   > : : cathedral was filled to the overflowing, with so many
people wanting
>   > : : attend that a second service had to be scheduled immediately
>   thereafter.
>   > : :
>   > : : The world, and Germany in particular, has much for which to
be
>   thankful
>   > : : America; now America deserves the loyalty of her allies.
Her kind,
>   > : : large-hearted, and freedom-loving spirit, more than any
technological
>   > : power,
>   > : : has made America the leader of the world and a beacon of
light and
>   hope
>   > : for
>   > : : the downtrodden nations. I know this great nation will
prevail over
>   the
>   > : : present crisis, and come out the stronger for it. God bless
America!
>   > : :
>   > : : Michael Suesserott
>   > : :