Re: [RT] Tradestation Pro

I have recently been through a bout of internet problems with my primary
ISP, backup ISP (both dialup), my broker's backbone connection, and
intermittent problems on the sprint backbone itself. Therefore your question
comes at a time when internet problems are freshest in my mind and the
answer in a nutshell is "no" I would not switch back to DTN/Ensign or
satellite/anything even though I was overall quite happy when using it.

Actually, my primary ISP is generally pretty reliable, the broker's backbone
problem was the first problem I can remember in a very long time, and the
internet backbone is generally pretty decent with very little latency. My
needs are simple: I want data on demand in any timeframe, I want data where
I want it (office, deck, etc.), I want data when I want it without advance
planning, and I want a simple set of charts and drawing tools. There is
nothing I have found which does a better job for me day in and day out than
QCharts/QFeed combined with an internet connection to my broker with good
phone backup.

When I used satellite, thunderstorms regularly knocked out my data feed and
data was lost if my computer was not ready to receive it due to technical
problems (rare with Windows NT but still happen). I also went through
several satellite boxes leaving me without data for several days each time.
I therefore had to build a complete infrastructure and routine dedicated to
identifying and filling in gaps in data. Further, the satellite feed dropped
20-30% of ticks so I had to build an infrastructure to rebuild my data files
from CME tick data. When I did have a data loss during the trading day, the
day was shot because I had to wait for the end of the trading day to collect
the missing data. And the satellite latency was longer than internet
latency.

No, the internet is not perfect but there is no way I would give up what I
have now.

Earl