Re: [RT] Tradestation Pro

Earl,

As maddening as these guys can be, I was one of those newbies years ago who
thought the road to riches began with TS, Easy Language and real time data
with BMI.  Over the years, of course, I developed my own style, and got to
the point where I did not and do not use 99.99% of TS's features, but became
quite comfortable and reliant on it's drawing features (if you believe it).
Together with a 3rd party application which I find useful at times (Drummond
Geometry numbers -- specific for Omega), I have been "compelled" to stay
within the family and search for an alternative to BMI (which I had been
vowing to do for some time).  A current incarnation, Pro, has only recently
(in last month) offered futures data in its package, and has had a hellava
time getting it right.  I "trust" these glitches are simply the inevitable
initial bugs, although better quality control before and after the fact might
have been/be useful.  My emails in this regard have gone unacknowledged.  I
did get a quick phone call a few days ago though, saying a problem had been
referred to the engineering dept (an email would have been documentation of
the problem and therefore not advisable from Omega's standpoint).

I have sitting beside me unopened boxes with TS 2000i and the satellite
equipment from DTN.  The ease, convenience and features of internet based
data, however, has urged the rational/expedient side of me to try and
optimize my current situation before going out in 100 degree weather to sink
a post for a dish.  I currently use a dial up internet (Earthlink) service
and am constantly losing connections.  I have cable available to me, so this
might be a first step, although I am not convinced, given the fact that
usually internet "noise" is distal to the cable connection: out there in node
land.

My question to you is if you had the opportunity to go back to DTN for your
real time data, would you do it?  My prejudice says to avoid the internet as
much as possible.  I keep a separate computer with my PMBe brokerage account
and that has been the extent of my online experience till now.  The uneasy
alliance between software and hardware generates enough errors in the form of
illegal or fatal operations as it is.  Having the internet involved in this
process just makes the probability and resolution of these hassles that much
greater, and the stakes that much higher -- not the type of enviornment one
wants when trying to focus on the task at hand:  making the proper trading
decision.

Dave

In a message dated 07/11/2001 5:00:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,