[RT] S&P 500 vs Help Wanted Ads

I plotted the following two series together to examine the relationship. I
had to take some liberty with the scaling to get the plots to reveal their
relationship (visually). I can understand how a bubble effect can take place on
the anticipation of the vast new employment opportunities that the Internet Age
was going to generate. I cannot see how we can go to new highs again with out
the employment opportunities actually becoming a reality. Most of the people I
know buy stuff and invest in their Ira's and Keogh's with money they earn from
their jobs. Over the course of this past Bull Market, investments in Ira's and
Keogh's have not risen in proportion to the markets move
and have since started to decline. Is this part of why we need to get
the Social Security Funds into the Stock Market? Just wondering.

Ron McEwan

data source:

S&P 500 Composite: Total Return:    Monthly Dividend
Reinvestment from Jan. 1970 to 1988,  Swithced to Daily Reinvestment
1/4/88 (End of Period)  Source: Reprinted with permission from Standard
& Poors. Copyright.

Index of Help Wanted Advertising in Newspapers 1987=100, Seasonally
Adjusted, Business Cycle IndicatorsSource: Reprinted with permission from
the Conference Board. Copyright.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Website Services- Click Here!