RE: [RT] The Gold Thread

<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>Semi-log charts are appropriate for large price swings
as well as extended time periods.
<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>
Trend
lines definitely work best on semi-log charts. Price action that looks
hyperbolic on an arithmetic chart will settle down  to a normal trend line
in semi-log.
<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>
<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>Percentage price intervals are proportional in
Semi-log. Don't know why anyone would want to use anything
else.
<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>
<SPAN
class=420523902-21052001>Stan

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: wavemechanic
  [mailto:wd78@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 5:54
  PMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [RT] The
  Gold Thread
  Stig:

  The rule of thumb that I have seen in various books
  is that arithmetic is OK for periods less than one year (difference between
  the two is small), but that semi-logarithmic should be used above that (or
  just use semi-log all the time).  I don't know why one would use semi-log
  for extended price ranges unless the time factor comes into play.  As for
  which trendline is right, I don't know of any study that has established which
  gives the best signals, and that should be the determining factor.
  Perhaps someone has more information.

  Bill
  <BLOCKQUOTE
    <DIV