Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

 Do successful doctors sign up at medical schools to teach for free?  Is Johnny Cochrane offering free "How to win the case of the century?" courses?  If it's offered for free, *everyone*, without thinking, will go for it.  If there's a cost, or a risk, then we have to stop and ask some questions of ourselves as well as the teacher.  Why do we treat trading as something other than a business?
And to vary the conversation a little, and I won't get too sanctimonious here, but to me trading is also about who you are as a person, your needs, fears, disciplines.  C'mon, it's Shakespearean --Fear, Greed, Lust, Power (and in some cases, Revenge).  How are you going to deal with that?  Is your mentor going to help you?

  Don Thompson <detomps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had the distinct pleasure of being mentored in another field. I learnedphotography from a three time Guggenhiem fellow.The relationship lasted for over 5 years. There was never any moneyinvolved. The relationship centered around the image, the roleof an artist in a technological culture, photography, obtaining grant money,sojourning into people's homes and gathering images andoral history's.. I was successful, and I measure that by being able to getinto an MFA arts program after the deadline, simply on myimages alone. What was shared was a mutual passion for obtaining a goodrepresentaion of a point of view. You have probably seenimages that you cannot either believe happened or are incredibly inspiringthis is what the relationship was about.The above is a mentorship and to call what happens most of the time in thisbusiness for a relationship of teaching, a "Mentor" relationship aserious misnomer. Ira is right the people who desire the knowledge haveseek those who do. The criterion, is that if the Pattern Master can'tprovidea hard copy of thier trading record from brokerage statements, outline in aspecific way the conceptual path to achieve those same records, and.... tellyou the amount of risk you have to take and how long you might "suffer" indrawdown. RUN THE FUCK AWAY.Also one might have all of the above, It would behove one to see if they canget along with the other. Some people just can't tolerate others. The guythat teachsthe Natural Order Educators is a case in point. The guy doesn't have themind to be a teacher. And years after I find out he couldn't trade.So if they whine and can't produce the image of what you want. They don'thave it. Why else would I have spent time learning from a Master unlesswhat he produced was exceptional? I would be stupid. In business, a mentorrelationship developes within a company, where the company pays the salaryfor both,in the Trading business, it is different.Don ThompsonTo unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions $2 Million Sweepstakes  -  Got something to sell?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor