[RT] Off topic - IE5 Temporary Internet Files

I run full system backups to tape every weekend and noticed that the backups
were getting slower and slower having increased in duration from 5+- hours
for backup and verify to over 11 hours. I also noticed that the number of
files on my system had reached astronomical levels. During the course of a
directory by directory review of my system, I ran across quite a revelation.

My \Temporary Internet Files folder showed (according to right click >
properties) over 67,000 files totaling in excess of 250 mb of space ... this
in spite of having set IE >Tools >Internet Options >General >Temporary
Internet files >Settings >Amount of disk space to use to 10 mb. Even more
interesting was the fact that the "Content.IE5" folders showed (in Windows
Explorer with system and hidden files set to be displayed) just a files and
the 4 sub-folders (with strange 8 character names like 38D0XB29 each showed
292 files of 1-2 megabytes each - thus the majority of the files were hidden
from view.

When I hit the "Delete Files" option in the Temporary Internet Files section
of the General tab, it took nearly 10 minutes of sustained activity for the
process to complete. Once completed, my I was down to under 100 files using
under 1 mb of space. So if your disk is getting full, your file system is
sluggish, or your backups are taking too long ... hit the Delete key and
clear out those files.

Earl