Re: [RT] Another Panic Cut Sets Stage for Rate Hikes Next Year

Regarding use of energy in CA, I was surprised to come across the
statistic below.  we don't use that much electricity per capita.  But
because CA is a big state in terms of land area, we get blamed for
total high consumption.  You've got to compare oranges with oranges...

California is 48th in per-capita energy consumption. The state is
2nd -- behind Texas -- in total power consumed.

Latest figures. Source: U.S. Department of Energy

JW

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "Earl Adamy" <eadamy@xxxx> wrote:
> I agree with much of what you say, however there was a very well
written
> guest column on the WSJ editorial page a couple of weeks ago,
setting forth
> the case that Californians expect social, environmental, and
economic
> perfection without any trade-offs so it seems natural that costs
there would
> lead the rest of the country. It rang a bell when I read it,
however I felt
> that much of it was applicable to urbanized areas in the rest of
the country
> as well - remember those red and blue election maps? What I do know
(living
> in the Southwest), is that because Californians don't want energy
facilities
> built locally, California is draining off energy supplies (and
water as
> well) from surrounding areas thus driving scarcity and costs for
the rest of
> us. Unfortunately, too many Californians are now leaving their
idealized
> world and moving in with those of us who eschew urbanized America
thereby
> driving up housing costs along with water and energy consumption.

<snipped>