From: DH [mailto:catapult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 2:19 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [RT] 1950's No reply

> If you don't need help when they lose your order or when an out trade
> appears on your account, no worries...go the cheapest route. Yes, the
level
> of service provided by IB is appropriate for some people. But not
everyone.

Yep, I have to agree with Tim on this one. Count me among those who
consider their level of service inadequate. They say right on their web
page that you should have an account with another broker so you can lay
off your trades when their system fails.

Contrast that with my current broker who costs more and doesn't have the
latest whiz-bang electronic interface. Globex/TOPS had problems last
week. I entered a market order electronically for the e-mini and the
fill was a little slow (30 seconds) coming back. The ticket number on
the fill had a clerk's initials when it finally arrived. Their system
automatically routed the order to the clerk when the e-system's
connection to Globex failed. I didn't have to do dick to correct the
problem. They just handled it and, as luck would have it, I got filled
at a good price. That's what I pay them for and it's why I put up with
their higher rates and less-than-state-of-the-art electronic system.

So, a question for you IB guys. When you get an "unable", do they give
you timely warning so you can do the trade with your backup broker (you
do have one don't you?) or does your order just disappear into
cyberspace leaving you wondering whether or not you are done as the
market explodes? Not knowing and not being able to call anyone who knows
has gotta be the worst feeling in the world.

--
  Dennis