Re: Long Term Capital Management

Forgive me if I'm missing something here but isn't one traders loss
another's gain?

I seem to remember Warren Buffet putting money into zeros about a year ago.
At the time this looked like a higher risk strategy. If he is still holding
he must be well ahead..!!

If LTCM has indeed lost billions of $$ someone somewhere has won. Doesn't
this just confirm the advantages of the 'free market'??

It's always useful to see these lessons debated in public. It serves as a
warning to each and every trader the dangers of NOT using prudent money
management methods.

It seems to me that all Greenspan has done is to encourage those involved to
honour their commitments sooner rather than later. And the cost to the US
taxpayer......? Only the coffee served at the meeting. The benefit..? A
lesson in risk management?

The winning traders on the other end of the trades must be laughing all the
way to the bank. Doesn't it just give you a nice warm feeling thinking about