Re: Astrology Isn't Used to Trade, Period.

Kevin:

Let's suppose for a moment that someone is using financial astrology
to pinpoint market turns in price and time using a 5 minute chart of
the SnP.  Now that is the kind of information that makes our mouths
water!  WE WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT IT!  Would you share this
type of information?  I don't think anyone would.  Let's look for some
evidence at the moment on your side of the ledger.  Some years ago
a publication called "The Skeptical Inquirer" wrote an excellent article
on the so called scientific efficacy of astrology.  They selected a group
of 'serious' astrologers, people who were lauded by their peers as being
very knowledgable and competent.  The magazine gave the same birth
chart to each of these astrologers.  The result was that each came up
with a different interpretation; lending credence to the idea that the
methodology could not be scientific and was subject to interpretation.
Think about it.  There are many types of astrological systems, methods
for constructing charts, house systems, etc.  How could there, then, be
any ground for a common interpretation?  I think that a lot of what goes on
with the cause and effect aspect of financial astrology can be best ex-
plained by the same phenomena that explains the SuperBowl indicator.
Apart from the fact that I have not seen any model logic which explains why
this should work, it is a case of coincidental backfitting.  That is to
say,
this was simply one event that the law of large numbers thrust to the
spotlight as being associated with overall movements in the stock market.
Now, think about the dynamic backdrop of astro phenomena always in motion.
In the same manner, one is bound to find something that appears to be
causal; if you look hard enough.

Charles

> From: Kevin Morgan <kmorgan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Astrology Isn't Used to Trade, Period.
> Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 11:33 AM
>
> Somehow the placement of my name next to the term "astroboy" has me in
> a foul mood.
>
> So let me just throw down the gauntlet:
>
>    NO ONE TRADES ASTROLOGY.  IT'S A PILE OF CRAP.  ALL THE TALK OF
CONJUNCTIONS