Re: GEN: Astrology

Charles & Group,

Very interesting post.  As I said in my post, those astronomical factors (I
mentioned sun spots as an example) which may influence meteorological
conditions and consequently, say the wheat market, bear investigation.  The
central issue here is can we trace a physical causality among the events in
question.  For example; a meteorological phenomenon, rain,  influences wheat
harvest, and this meteorological phenomenon is in turn influenced by an
astronomical occurrence, the sun spot cycle.  The sun spot cycle is a
seven-year (+/-) phenomenon.  We need to show that the weather cycle (i.e..
rainfall etc.) also follows a seven-year(+/-) cycle. Having done this, we can
try to predict changes in the weather cycle as they influence wheat production.
Then we apply this to wheat futures. The horoscopic approach does not, to my
knowledge, provide any physically provable mechanism to justify its
assumptions.  Therefore, it depends entirely on a significantly large group of
faithful who follow it's rules to move the markets.  If the faithful lose their
faith and go away, the approach fails.  The weather however, continues to
influence how wheat grows.

Cheers,

Peter Perry