RE: GEN - HELP - Cable Data on a DBC FM PLUS (Grey) Receiver

Tony, I think I recognize your name.  If you bought it from a guy in San Mateo,
then you bought it from me.  The one I sold had all of the manuals and software,
did you misplace them?

You probably have a Signal _Cable_ Plus receiver (not FM), which receives data
broadcast on several TV stations, notably CNBC and others.

Install the Signal DOS software to help you setup the receiver and get it
running.  Once your done, you can switch to TS or whatever.

Find out what channel you need to tune to.  For instance, in Sacramento,
CNBC is scrambled, so I tune channel 49 on the cable converter, and set the TV
to channel 4.

You hook the output of the converter (if scrambled) or regular TV cable (if not)
to the "Data In BNC" connector.  Connect a serial cable to the Signal box and your PC
and use the HELP.EXE (I think) program that the DOS software installs.  It will scan your
serial ports for the box and allow you to communicate with it.

Once found, download the ROS (the operating system for the box).
Once running, exit the HELP app and run the Signal DOS software (SIGNAL.EXE).
In the Settings section you can set the channel and fine tune it.  Tune it to the
same channel you would tune the TV to.  In my example above (scrambled CNBC in Sac),
I set the channel to 4, just like the TV coming out of the cable de-scrambler.
Then select the Fine-Tune option.  It will take about 10 minutes or so.

You'll need to enter your Signal passwords for the packets to be usable, but even without
the passwords you'll be able to see the packets being received and verify the box is working.