RE: Computers

Phil and RTrs,

Finally a chance for this newbie trader to contribute something
useful....(at least I hope you find it useful).

A quick summary of your options...depends on your Operating System...
MULTIPLE MONITORS
Windows 98 operating system supports Multiple Monitors.  One Video Card for
each Monitor (now).
It supports both PCI and AGP video cards (PCI is the master).

Other Windows (3.x, 95, NT) and DOS do not support Multiple Monitors in the
Operating System, but there are Hardware Multiple Monitor Video Cards.
 (Check out Appian Graphics sp?)

SOFTWARE RUNNING
Applications on the Multiple monitors SHOULD only be limited by your
Operating system and Computer...
If you can have the software running on a single monitor, it can be better
(viewing) on Multiple monitors.

MONITORS
If gong to 21", make sure you have a BIG Desk...  If willing to pay that
price (for the 21") also consider the new FLAT PANEL units that are out.
 The size will be smaller, (14-17") but the resolution is EXCELLENT.  It
also saves on desk space.  If going Flat Panel - check out the VIDEO CARDS
and their compatibility with your Computer System and Operating System
first (not many out yet).

GENERAL SYSTEM
Get as much CPU speed and Hard Drive space and Memory as you can afford
(after you figure out your Monitors).
Get the memory on as few DIMM's as possible (1-128Mb vs 2-64Mb).  Go for
the 100MHz System bus!
If you want SPEED and money not a big object - get SCSI system for Hard
Drives.

My Current System: PII - 266 (on a 100MHz board) with 64 MB and a 6 Gig
Hard Drive.  17" AcerView 78ie Monitor and an old 15" Monitor.  Running
Win98 with ATI video cards (each 8Mb Video Ram).

Dream System:  PII- 400 with 256MB and Dual 10 Gig SCSI Hard Drives with (2
or 3) Flat Panel Displays...
(after I make my $$$ trading - might be a while yet...)

For more info, e-mail me....

Blair Carruthers