Option Strategy

I just finished reading a book by someone called K. Anand containing some rudimentary option strategies (backspreads, naked strangles, hedged with a long straddle when IV falls, etc.)

The news in it was the following:  according to the author Implied Volatility provides the real range for the market over any given time period.  Thus you take the at the money IV for let's say the S&P and project the market range based on this number.  For example, assume the following:

Sept S&P is @ 1200
At the Money IV = 15%
Days to expiration (August) = 32

Expected movement = sqr root (32/365) * 1200 * .15 = 53
Expected range at expiration = 1147 to 1253

The real news is that, according to Anand, this range has held true historically 90% of the time.  He therefore recommends strategies that are short at 1 sigma based on the at the money IV.

Since I have not been able to find a database of at the money IV for the S&P, I have not been able to back test the theory.  Any comments?