Re: GEN - chaos

The regression analysis in the chart may be a fine way to trade, but I
don't believe regression lines are chaotic attractors because the bond
market over several weeks or months or years is not a chaotic system. Chaos
theory is the study of how ordered systems change with a fair degree of
consistency into chaotic systems.

Take the example of the lit cigarette. If you put one in an ashtray, it is
true you will not see the same pattern twice. YET, what is remarkably
consistent is that it first traces a thin line upwards, then all of the
sudden turns cloud-like. This point of change to cloudlike pattern will
always be roughly the same given the same wind conditions (and I imagine
brand of cigarette)

Here's another one. Turn on a water faucet a teeny bit till you get a
steady drip. Turn it up a teeny bit more and you'll get a steady drip about
twice the rate. Turn it up a teeny bit more (if you're nimble) to get a
steady drip at four times the rate. But at a point (which will be always
roughly the same for each faucet), the steady drip stops and the drips seem
to randomize. The random pattern will never be the same but the point at
which the dripping changes will always be the same.

How ordered systems change into chaotic systems is fascinating.

HOWEVER, I don't believe markets are ordered systems changing into chaotic
systems. They are in fact chaotic systems changing into ordered systems.
Tick by tick fluctuations may very well function under chaotic conditions
but day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month changes are, I believe, due to
order (and of course to occasional random events) but not due to the
characteristics of a chaotic system.

But even if you do not accept my premise, on a practical level chaos theory
can only really tell us where an ordered system such as a market changes
into a chaotic one. As was discussed recently on misc.invest.futures, a
model based on chaos theory (not just mere regression analysis) suffers
from the major change that can happen to a model if the initial parameters
are changed even in the slightest.

Example: Even if you had a super-duper computer that could track every
single molecule of air and water on the planet you still would not be able
to predict the weather very reliably past a few days. Why? If you made a
tiny mistake on the initial settings of one molecule, you could end up with
tornadoes and floods in Kansas instead of bright sunny skies.

Yes, it may be POSSIBLE to apply but it is not very PRACTICAL.