Re: MKT - DOW Top

Brent - The problem is that the Y2K is deeper than many managers
realize. I know, because I used to be a computer programmer. I know
there are little, what I thought at the time, were throw-away programs,
that looked at dates that will blow up on Jan. 1, 2001. And, finding all
of these programs will be hard. Firms lose computer code, so they cannot
just edit the code and fix it (and it is not always that easy to do to),
so they might have to start from scratch on a system might have taken
years to develop in the first place. Firms may not even know about some
of these programs until they blow up.

I do think that the trouble really will not so much be in the US private
sector, but the govt could be a mess and foreign firms, esp emerging
markets could be in big trouble. Look at Asia. They can't even pay their
phone bills, let alone finding retired COBOL programmers in Fort
Lauderdale for $1000 bucks a day!

Steve