Re: foreign holdings of US govt securities

I think most of the discussion up to now has been off-base in looking at
cause and effect. The Japanese have made tons of money borrowing yen at
rates less than 1%, and buying US Treasuries, giving them a 6% return
and currency appreciation. When this trade is no longer profitable, the
Japanese will sell. Quickly.

It will take a lot of bankrupcies in Japan to soak up the excess
liquidity in Japan. Once that happens, and Japan (and the rest of Asia,
for that matter) becomes a profitable place to invest, US interest rates
will rise as US Treasuries are sold.

IMHO

Dan Goncharoff