Re: Planets ?

Chris,

     I think the most difficult aspect of trading is that every valid
methodology talks about the same thing using an entirely different frame
of reference. One of the most valuable skills, I think, is to be able to
see the equivalencies, at which point you can use the various references
interchangably, and integrate many seemingly conflicting methodologies
as faces of the whole.

     The example I'm going to give here is not precisely correct, but is
in this form for the sake of brevity. Working out the details takes far
too long for this forum. Suppose you are a fundamental trader who trades
off of the quarterly earnings periods. What would be some various
technical equivalents on a chart?

     If you assume a year to be an appropriate comparison, and, for a
moment, that there are 360 days in a year, then you have merely assumed
that a year is equivalent to the 360 degrees of the circle (actually
ellipse). In this overly simplified case, you could refer to your
earnings period in some of the following equivalents, and many more:

Degrees = 90.

Pi = Pi/2

Fibonnaci = 2 * sqrt(.618)

Calendar = equally spaced from the solstices, about 90 days.

Universal clock = about one orbit of Mercury around the Sun.

etc. etc. etc...

My only point here being that when you refer to something in one frame
of reference, you refer to them all. The messy part is moving between
them. Sometimes I think what Gann meant when he said "Nothing new under
the Sun" was merely "6 of one, a half dozen of the other". <g>

                                             Darrin