Re: "Guaranteed" Fills with Limit Orders at the CBOT?

Richard:

The Mercs orders are great for flexibility. And sometimes, the CBOT can seem
very archaic. However, some brokers do a great job with basically the same
orders that you would use on the Merc. I DO use MIT orders on the CBOT, because
my broker does take them. Is he held? No. First, I don't hold my brokers in the
sense that I would make them eat a one or two tick bad fill. But then, I think
of my relationship with my brokers as a partnership. usually, I'll tell my
broker [yes, I deal directly to the floor when I trade in all markets], 'look, I
am short 10 bonds and I want to get out when it touches 120 03 here today. So
buy 10 120 03 MIT.' And usually, he'll be the bid when it gets there and is
moving down fast. If it looks bottom-ish, he'll take the 04 offer right away or
maybe for half. Another way to accomplish this is to tell him to be a 120 03 bid
for 10 with a tick. Again, if I give him a bid for 10 and gets down there and
starts to sit, I always call back and give him a tick. And if he sees it's quite
bid, he'll call me right away and tell me it's bid...do I want him to take the
offer?

Does it sometimes cost me an extra tick or so? Yes. But do I get my fills? Yes.
Once in a great while, the phone will ring and he'll say the 04's got away from
him, it's my bid, what do I want him to do [other than get em at 03]. I always
tell him to just get them. I hang up and scream at my desk and then remind
myself all the times he sold the high or bought the low for me...

By the way, I always end my day by checking out with the pit and thanking the
people that check my trades out and asking them to please tell everyone I
appreciate the work they did for me. And I usually tell everyone in all the pits
I am trading regularly to have a great weekend, or have a nice Easter, etc. I
treat them as people and friends. They treat me as a person and a friend. And
yes, I do send holiday gifts to my brokers. Without them, I don't make a living.
They don't have to take the orders they take from me. I know they are giving me
a little extra.

Tim Morge