Re: GEN: Systems Are NOT Us

At 11:33 PM 3/22/98 PST, narayan c.k. wrote:
>>"Push the up-arrow key when the trend changes to up" and totally
>disregard the actions!
>
>Bob ,
>
>Great post!. In fact the entire discussion started off by Ric Ingram on
>this subject has been excellent. I particularly enjoyed the views
>expressed by Pete.
>
>I think the desire to prove our own"smartness" and ability to read more
>into a situation than what is being signalled by the system is what
>leads to problems with systems. There is no denying the fact that the
>biggest variable in a trading system is the trader himself. Developing
>the discipline necessary to execute the signals seems to be the biggest
>stumbling block for most traders. With so many inputs flowing through
>everyday that we trade, it is so very difficult to keep them at bay.
>While this in itself may be the very reason that we have a system, I
>feel it is vital that we spend most of our time working on our psyche
>rather than on the system.
>
>Dr.Narayan
>Bombay, India.

Dr Narayan,

Perhaps my views are enjoyable, maybe even funny.

I am, however, dead serious.  (gosh that sounds like awful
English)

The suggestion that this discussion boils down to seems to be
that about half, if not more, of our efforts should go to getting
ourselves under control versus getting the system under control.

The position I took never mentioned "information overload."  That
adds to the problem.  But even if you eliminated that, the
sabotaging of the system will continue because of our feelings
about innumerable things.

We humans are the most capable of self-deception of all beings.

Only if we are totally honest can we be above the law.

Pete
petena9090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx