Re: GEN: Systems Are NOT Us

>I am a complex machine and react to my environment faster than
>I can keep track of and with many different motivations at
>different times that I am not conscious of.  To make a profit
>at trading requires a simpler machine where what you had for
>lunch or the thirst for revenge or greed or how things are going
>in your relationship with your lover play no role in the decisions
>made.  Sounds like a pipe-dream!  Well I am not finished, and it
>could take many months to get there.  We might hope that the
>system that fills this need gets built sooner even if it is done
>by someone else.

I develop systems for my own use and tend to find that when I decide to
override them, I tend to be wrong. Maybe I just need to feel needed!

The military found long ago that technicians would interact with totally
automatic equipment just to have something to do and screw things up in the
process. So we created a diversion by having the programs send them
messages and asking them to turn various controls, answer questions, etc.,
none of which was used by the program. It worked and kept them from
screwing up the tests.

So maybe we should design our trading systems to ask us things such as,
"Push the up-arrow key when the trend changes to up" and totally disregard
the actions!

Bob Fulks