Re: GEN: Systems Are NOT Us

At 12:27 PM 3/22/98 -0500, Bob Fulks wrote:
>>I am a complex machine and react to my environment faster than
>>I can keep track of and with many different motivations at
>>different times that I am not conscious of.  To make a profit
>>at trading requires a simpler machine where what you had for
>>lunch or the thirst for revenge or greed or how things are going
>>in your relationship with your lover play no role in the decisions
>>made.  Sounds like a pipe-dream!  Well I am not finished, and it
>>could take many months to get there.  We might hope that the
>>system that fills this need gets built sooner even if it is done
>>by someone else.
>

>I develop systems for my own use and tend to find that when I decide to
>override them, I tend to be wrong. Maybe I just need to feel needed!
>
>The military found long ago that technicians would interact with totally
>automatic equipment just to have something to do and screw things up in the
>process. So we created a diversion by having the programs send them
>messages and asking them to turn various controls, answer questions, etc.,
>none of which was used by the program. It worked and kept them from
>screwing up the tests.
>
>So maybe we should design our trading systems to ask us things such as,
>"Push the up-arrow key when the trend changes to up" and totally disregard
>the actions!
>
>Bob Fulks

Bob,

Fantastic!  I just love it.  If I bought a system and did not
know those extra non-functioning buttons, questions and answers
or actions WERE non-functioning it would probably help.  But
for me to add them to my system would not get those results (my
twiddling with the non-funcs and getting my emotional quirks
some satisfaction).  There would be times when my fear or greed
would cause me to hit the real chicken-switch and screw up the
trade.

I think I'll return to the regular meetings of the Gurdjieff-
Ouspensky group.  I might yet learn to step back and be an
observer of my behavior and feelings, thereby be able to let the
system do its thing.  It has already helped me focus enough on
my machinery to cut down on blood pressure medication.
petena9090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx