Re: GEN : long term VS short term investment

In a message dated 98-02-05 12:32:30 EST, starya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I want to know, how to invest in stock market, is it better to PLAY long or
 short term? I have heard some one, PLAY short must have luck and you don't
have
 luck every time you trade, so you had better to PLAY long term. He also said
 that from the researh, that almost 90% of the traders who PLAY short term is
 lost. Is it true?
 I have PLAY long term, and I have hold some stock for about 1 year. But if I
 count, I have lost a lot.
 So I don't understand, how to invest in in stock market? If it is better to
PLAY
 long term, when I should sell the stock?
 Should I still hold the stock even if the stock fall down?
 How to select the stock which better to PLAY short or long term?
 In your opinion, what is the meaning of PLAY long term or short term? >>

         Hi Arifin;

         Please take take a second look at what you wrote.  You used the word
PLAY eight times.  I know this is a figure of speech but it also represents a
state of mind.  Investing is not play it is WORK!  If you have not been
sucessful at long term investing, you will probably be even less sucessful at
short term trading.  Instead of trying to jump to another system with entirely
different methods, STOP.  You need to first LEARN to invest.   You learned to
walk, you learned to drive, you learned your profession, now learn how to
invest.

         Start by reading at least two books on the type of investing you are
interested in.  Ask questions on anything you do not understand.  Analize your
past trades, ask why you made the buy, why you sold or did not sell?  If the
answer is "To make money" go back and read two more books and repeat the
process.  When you have a good reason, paper trade 5 or 6 times.  If you are
not successful paper trading go back and read two more books and repeat the
process.  If you are succesful, risk a small amount of real money.  If you are
not sucessfull trading a small amount of money go back and read two more books
and repeat the process.  If you are successful gradually increase the amount
of money and read two more books.
                                                 Good luck and good trading,
                                                            Ray Raffurty