GEN : long term VS short term investment

I want to know, how to invest in stock market, is it better to play long or
short term? I have heard some one, play short must have luck and you don't have
luck every time you trade, so you had better to play long term. He also said
that from the researh, that almost 90% of the traders who play short term is
lost. Is it true?
I have play long term, and I have hold some stock for about 1 year. But if I
count, I have lost a lot.
So I don't understand, how to invest in in stock market? If it is better to play
long term, when I should sell the stock?
Should I still hold the stock even if the stock fall down?
How to select the stock which better to play short or long term?
In your opinion, what is the meaning of play long term or short term?

Thanks in andvance.

                               Best regards,
                                Arifin Surya
                        starya@xxxxxxxxxxx