Re: Fw: Post Expiration Announcement

Stan Rubenstein wrote:

> DanG:  thanks for responding but you didn't address the key question;
> are you saying that DMG delayed the announcement to the post-Expiry date
> to avoid illegality?  What governed their decision to make public their MRK
> recommendation the very first day after Options Expiration?
>
> By the way the stock moved up significantly, 105.xx to 109.xx the last
> 3 days before the DMG recommendation.
>
> Regards,
> STAN
>
> ----------
> > From: TheGonch at MediaKat <Daniel.Goncharoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: Fw: Post Expiration Announcement
> > Date: Wednesday, January 21, 1998 4:03 AM
> >
> > It would be entirely illegal to accumulate atock or options in
> > anticipation of a broker recommendation. Despite the myths, the big
> > firms don't do it because the risk to their reputation is too great.
> >
> > I have no doubt that if the recommendation had come out during expiry
> > week, there would have been accusations of manipulating expiration...
> >
> > DanG

> of
> > > the
> recommendations
> > > could
> MRK

> pending
> > > could

> recommendations

> 13,500

My point is that I don't think anything influenced the release after
expiry. There is only 20 trading days a month, and hundreds of stocks
being followed. At random, earnings changes will come out before, during
and after expiry. Yes, it will have an effect on trading in the
environment caused by expiry, but major firms will not take the legal
risk to manipulate the timing of the announcements for a few small $$.
It just looks like it to those predisposed to a conspiracy theory of the
stock market. (That is not intended as a personal comment, but a
reaction to the many many posts I read whining about how every broker,
MM, etc. is out to screw you -- this is true to the same extent that
many appliance stores try to sell you a refrigerator at as high a price
as you will accept.)

JMHO

TheGonch