GEN - Looking for mentors

Every book you read seems to mention the importance of finding a mentor.  I'd
be interested in hearing from RT's who have had an experience with any of
these folks who advertise their services out of their "trading rooms."  I find
it hard to believe that you can spend 2-3 days with someone and come away
armed with the tools to tackle the market (S&P500 e.g.).  The one time I did
this, it was a complete waste of time and money (Daniel Dowling of Center for
Market Studies in North Carolina, from whom I had the gullibility of
purchasing software from, before the trip. I thought the in-house "workshop"
would redeem it.  All it did was confirm what had happened.  I had been taken
for damn near $8K.  What can you do other than chaulk it up as drawdown and
get on with your life).  My conclusion after 4 years at this is that the only
way to surivive, much less thrive,- over the long haul-  is to rely on one's
own read of the markets and sheer wits.  Still, I'd be interested to hear
others' experiences along these lines.