Re: ADMIN: Is your ISP changing phone numbers?

G.John Boggio wrote:

> Realtraders and Friends,
>
>   This is just a short note to let you know how to avoid a potentially
> small financial disaster.
>
>   Recently, I was informed by my ISP, via email, that they were going
> change the 'log-in' phone number for my connection.  No problem, I
> said...I
> made note of it.  During the following week I needed to call their

Hi, John,

Just a few thoughts if I might ..... (and also for those who have
experienced similar problems.)

Amazing....

There is NO reason that your ISP could not have utilize BOTH (all)
numbers into their systems. (Especially since they didn't physically
move! "Increasing volume" excuse is at best, weird. (And I operate
several ISPs.) I bet you signed up for local service ... as advertised
AND stated in the printed materials provided by the ISP. You obviously
have been paying for LOCAL service for some time now. They did not (in
writing, or apparently verbally) inform you that the change would result
in a SUBSTANTIAL  change in your service agreement. Their fault.

This is a clear cut 'breach of contract' problem.

Send the ISP the bill and insist that they reimburse you for the damages
.... they probably won't. Then threaten to sue. (And follow through in
small claims... about $75.) Then contact all the Local media, and tell
them all about it. (They love these kinds of stories.) You will probably
have hundreds of others in the same situation contact you. Good PR for
you, and the PR damages to them might cause the ISP to settle. If not,
continue with the law suit.

Also, include Bell Atlantic in any suits. Include the CEO, Regional
Manager, and Local managers by name also. And also include the local rep
for Bell Atlantic who services the ISP... by name. They won't want the
publicity.

As one who has made a living in the communications business for over 14
years now, I am never surprised at the games these phone companies play,
to con you out of more money. Complain LOUDLY to the state Utilities
Commission. (More media publicity.)

Personal hypothesis: They (the Phone Cos) send their sales reps out to
look for customers (read - ISPs, etc.) who have a large call volume in a
local jurisdiction. (The Bells don't like this volume because of no
revenue, unless THEY are the ISP. Want to bet Bell Atlantic has an
Internet package available?) They claim better service to the ISP (or
only that a particular category of service .. ie. DS3, can be NOW
offered to the ISP)  by simply changing to another number, (ie. trunk
line). Guess what. And guess WHO makes money on it? I've seen variations
on this, so many times, by the baby Bells, that I have lost track.

This is one of a few dozen scenarios that I've come across. Of course
they don't know anything about this. So who am I to say? The problem is
that the results are the same, both for the ISP and the end-use
customer.

Again, complain LOUDLY to your state's Utility Commission.

BOTTOM LINE: Your ISP (and their trunk line service provider) changed
the game on you. You do not need to feel the fool, and take it. They
unilaterally changed the contract... you didn't.  Of course, take my
comments for what they are worth. If you feel that Bell Atlantic
deserves $800 of yours, please disregard the above comments. :)  And if
all else fails, at least you didn't lose the $800 to a bad trade. I've
BEEN there, SEEN it, DONE it, and frankly don't like that either!  Have
a good one. :)

As a side note, I greatly appreciate the work you have done with this
forum... thanks!

Regards,
Ryan Garrett
FIRST-UP.COM<x-html><HTML>
<HEAD>

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="telerate">

<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.01 [en] (Win95; I) [Netscape]">

<TITLE>testfoot</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>http://www.firstup.com