Re: GEN: Brokerage Contrarians

Gary Funck wrote:

> What I do find interesting, is that on CNBC, they've interviewed
> a few money managers/analysts for the major brokerages who are
> talking up the idea of reallocating assets out stocks into bonds,
> for example.   Maybe CNBC was just interviewing the bond salesman,
> I don't remember .... however, it seems we're starting to hear
> more of that sort of talk than we used to.  Of course, I'm a
> "brokerage contrarian" and this sort of thing generally makes
> me want to do the opposite ... :)
>
> --

Gary,
You are the first person I have seen post a note on the topic of being a
"Brokerage Contrarian".
I have noticed for some time now, that some of the brokerage
recommendations have been dubious, to be charitable.
The most recent example was on Wednesday of this week when a prominent
brokerage waxed eloquently on the merits of TXN (Texas Instruments) as a
'buy'. The stock duly traded early on Wednesday at 117.. up about 6
points from Tuesday's close. By the time 'Joe Public' got to market, the
stock was in a sharp downtrend, and in a mere 12 1/2 hours of trading,
closed on Thursday at 102 7/8.
It seems to me as if the recommendation was a very good one, provided
you believe the theory that many recommendations are published with a
view to distributing stock to the unsuspecting public
Martin.