Re: URGENT: EMini S&P 500 fill limit

Hi Visavis,

At the least, you have some very valid questions for your broker.

In quanities of 30 or less, the mini is not traded in a "pit". It is traded
electronically on Globex. This is the ONLY way it is traded. I do not
understand why you had a problem getting a fill on a market order, or a
timely report of your fill. True, the only orders accepted on the Globex
system are limit orders, but by selling at a price just above the current
offer, or buying just below the current bid, you affect a market order and
will get  filled immediately. We have traded dozens of the mini over the
last two days, and even in the volatile, extraordinary conditions that have
existed, the fills are practically instantaneous.

If you were told the pit was too busy, well, what pit? Find out exactly
what they do when you give them an order. Are they entering from a terminal
right on their desk? It sounds as if they have to turn around after you
have placed your order, pick up the phone and dial another desk, and then
wait until (if) someone picks up and have that individual enter your order.
That would allow for even further delays if that desk is busy and has to
call your broker with your fill, who in turn calls you.

I am not aware of the margin requirements having been raised, though they
may well have been. Minimum margin requirements are set by the exchanges,
but the firms can charge a higher minimum if they choose. In this instance
it sounds as though you were the victim of poor communication. It is YOUR
responsibility to be aware of the margin requirements but it is very poor
service not to have been advised by your broker PRIOR to entering your
first order of the day of any change that was obviously going to have
potential impact on something you were about to trade.

Regards,

Tom Alexander