Gen: Forex vs. IMM

I have some questions for the group.  Currently I have been trading
currencies on the IMM.
I have been thinking about moving over to Forex.  Having not traded in
these markets before
I'm not used to the mechanics.

Can some one explain the advantages and disadvantages of both.  What
mechanics will change??
I hold a position anywhere between 1min to a couple of weeks at most
usually within the 1 day to 2 day range.

I know spot will expire within 2 days -- so how do I adjust to that.  Or
should I just trade the forward markets.??

If some members can give me some insight that would be great.

Thanks,
Mark