Re: Neural Networks & Cockroaches

Adrian:

You and I have communicated privately, but I also wanted to add a few points
about neural nets in general. Being eager to use anything in my trading that
works, whether it is my company's vehicle or somebody elses, I tried neural
nets awhile back. I agree that the problem is as you say, i.e. training a
neural net seems no better than defining parameters in an oscillator based
system. You're tied to using optimizing to a certain segment of time. If your
optimized system or neural net is not adapting itself to properties of the
market are constant, that you're dead meat. The system or neural net will
always disintigrate.

On the brighter side, though--I believe that there is a way to use neural
nets that can be a practical adjunct to entry and exit methods. Some money
managers for example use neural nets and retrain them every week. This is
required because, as has been discussed on RealTraders before by Mr. Winski,
myself, and another guy whose name I forget, the market is intelligently
adaptive. It's like cockroaches which adapt themselves to the lastest
insecticide formulation.

Eddie Kwong

customer service: RealTraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For digest format send message to:
listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Turn on digest, type: set  realtraders  mail  digest
Turn off digest type: set realtraders mail ack

<< I am a novice from New Zealand ( not too far from the south pole )and I
 trade the US market based on end-of-day data.

 I recently spent thousands on purchasing neural network & intermarket
 analysis software from a company in Florida but I just can't seem to get
 any joy from the supposedly "predictive capabilities" of these junk
 software. They appear to be no more than glorified lagging indicators.

 Are there any out there who have had experience with such products? Any
 advice on how to benefit from them will be very much appreciated.

 Adrian