the adventures of waterhouse

Good evening,

Stock trading is hard enough without the incompetence of our stock
brokers.  Today I an order at 12:21pm.  At 5:30pm Waterhouse called me
to report it was filled.  They did not mention it was a "too late to
cancel". All day long I sat at my monitor updating my trade status and
no fill was reported.  Even the broker said his order room stamped the
trade as filled at 4:28pm, after the market was closed. How are you
supposed to trade like that?

NOW THE MAIN QUESTION:  How come fills that are reported late like this
are always fills that are inferior to what the fill would have been at
the close?  How come fills reported late are never better fills than
what you could have got at the close?

Is there a competent, honest broker out there?

Best wishes,

James