Re: Data ... who is the owner?

You could be right. I can see both sides of the argument.

I would think that the original data is the property of the exchange that
produces it. If you own something, you can decide to sell copies of it and
license copies of it. The owner of the data can choose the terms under which
customers can get the data. If the customers do not like the terms, they can
simply not spend the money.

A data provider that simply distributes the data would be like a book store
that simply distributes books or the cable company that simply distributes a
TV program. The book store owns the book but not the information in it.
They cannot reprint it and sell copies. If the book contains market data,
it would seem to be subject to copyright protection like any book. Certainly, electronic (PDF) books are protected the same way.

But if the data producer combines the data from several exchanges to produce
more complete data, they could say they are adding value so could own the
added value.

In any case, if you agree to the terms and conditions of the supplier and
those say you are licensing the data that they own, then I think you have a
contractual agreement that supercedes the Uniform Commercial Code
(See:  <

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/ucc.table.html> )

And if you want to redistribute the data, you probably will be in breach of
contract and, as you say, end up in court.

Complicated subject. It would be interesting to read the court decision.

Bob Fulks